Ocular disease is the term used when referring to any condition or disorder that interferes with the ability of the eye to function properly and/or that negatively affects the visual clarity of the eye.
Ocular Diseases Diagnosed and Treated at Northwest Hills Eye Care
Some of the ocular diseases that the doctors of optometry at Northwest Hills Eye Care diagnose and treat include:
- Conjunctivitis — When the thin, clear layer of tissue lining the inside surface of the eyelid and the white portion of the eye (i.e., conjunctiva) becomes inflamed, this is referred to as conjunctivitis (aka pink eye). One or both eyes may be affected and some forms of this disease are extremely contagious. Although conjunctivitis is usually minor, it has been known to develop into a more serious problem.
- Dry Eye — This condition occurs when an individual does not have a sufficient amount of quality tears to nourish and lubricate the eye. Tears are one of the essential components when it comes to maintaining one’s eye health.
- Macular Degeneration — This disease affects the small portion of the retina located within the back layer of the eye. When an individual has age-related macular degeneration (AMD), he or she experiences a loss of central vision, which can occur in two forms: exudative (i.e., wet) or atrophic (i.e., dry). The majority of people who have macular degeneration have the atrophic form of the disease, which has no known treatment. The exudative form of the disease is less common; however, this form of the disease may respond to medication injections and laser procedures.
- Diabetic Retinopathy — Causes retinal damage that progresses over time. This is a serious complication for those who have diabetes because it threatens their vision.
- Glaucoma — This term refers to a group of disorders that damage the optic nerve. Individuals who have glaucoma in Austin, TX may lose nerve tissue, which results in vision loss.
If you are experiencing any of the problems listed above or some other eye problem, contact Northwest Hills Eye Care at 1.512.328.0555 today.